Sunday, January 30, 2011

Solo Se Vive Una Vez.

I've been back in Spain for 3 weeks now. Coming back this time was different. Usually, I've had no idea where I was going to live, who I would be friends with, what my classes/job would be like, etc. But, the return to Spain for 2011 was the complete opposite. I knew my roommates would be waiting for me, my friends, my tutors, my students, my private lessons, the academy, and (sadly) my freezing cold apartment. I suffered in the cold for about a week, until I gave in and bought a heater. It's the best thing I've bought in Spain (socks and sweaters are right up there though!) I enjoy coming home from a long day in Jarandilla to a warm room. 
The favorite part of my room.
Today is Sunday; another lazy weekend is just about to end.  Thursday night we had a curry dinner in Diana's flat. It was one of the best curry dishes I've ever had - and, besides the meals I had at "Kitchen Stories" in Madrid with Jessica, the best meal I've had in Spain this time around.  We danced around to "Saturday Night" by Whigfield and did the "Cha Cha Slide" - too funny! (Videos are on facebook and my youtube channel: GriffinWA) Friday night Diana, Maria, Oscar, and Cesar (a new friend!) all went to Plasencia to see "Tambien la Lluvia" - an independent film that has been nominated for an Oscar: Best International Film. It was a good movie, but I just wish I could have understood more of it. The accents were mainly South American/Bolivian so it was difficult to understand - and, not knowing the history behind Bolivia's struggle for water also made it difficult to follow. However, it was very exciting to be out of Navalmoral, traveling by car, and AT the movies! 
Curry night at Di Ana Ana's house!
Mamen and Diana's first time dancing to the Cha Cha slide!
Me, Diana, and Maria after the movie! WOO!
Plasencia's Plaza Mayor at Night.
Oscar, Me, Diana, Maria
Guadalupe: Road Trip #1 
Last weekend, January 21 and 22, I went on a road trip with Allyson and Maegan to Guadalupe.  I'd always heard that I needed to visit Guadalupe and see the monastery.  Well, I finally did. Guadalupe is a small town of about 2,000 people. It's very cute and even more touristy.  We went out for a huge dinner the first night there, Maegan, Allyson, Glen (another English teacher in our program), two of Allyson's Spanish friends, and me. We ate for HOURS. Migas. Quesos. Morcilla. Croquetas. Jamon. Huevos Rotos. Vino. Vino. And Mas Vino. We went out for candy tapas and over sized vodka limons after, played some fooze ball, and sang karaoke. American karaoke. Spice Girls, BSB, and Grease. Allyson ended the night with a Spanish song and air guitar.  The six of us had a huge sleepover at Glen's flat since he offered to let us crash. It was such a fun night. 
Jarandilla is at the base of the mountains in the background.
We stopped to take in the view, since you can do that in a car!
Migas. A meal in itself.
A fun night out.
The Guadalupe gang.
Me, Maegan, Allyson, Fugencio, Miguel Luis, Glen
Singing Grease!
Saturday morning, we visited the monastery of Guadalupe to see the Virgin, the patron saint of Extremadura. Then, we drove to the top of a huge mountain. We entered the "restricted zona militar" and saw the most incredible views. We drove to Cañamero, a small town with several wineries. We had another huge meal and several bottles of wine.

It's not uncommon to have people come in to a restaurant to sell hats, scarves, DVDs, suncglasses, etc. However, we saw a man selling chain saws, tool sets, a fishing pole, desk lamps, and a talking toy parrot. It was meal I will never forget. Who walks around selling those things, seriously? 

Next time I'm looking to buy a fishing pole, I think I'll just go eat lunch in Cañamero. :)
View of the monastery from Glen's flat.
Me, Allyson, Maegan, Glen on Glen's balcony.
Virgin of Guadalupe in the middle, top.
Overview of Guadalupe!
In the zona militar, almost on top of the world!
Fishing poles, tool sets and chain saws.
A road trip in Allyson's 'woo. Missouri sticker makes us feel at home.
Guadalupe.
Classes Continue
This past week I gave classes about Missouri to two third grade classes. We had so much fun! I find that I speak with more and more hand gestures each day.
Pointing to my ears "please listen".
Pointing to my eyes "please look".
Pointing to my mouth and waving my finger in the air "please don't talk". 
Pointing to my ears then mouth "listen and repeat".
Saying hello and waving my hand is a way to get their attention. 
Asking "do you understand" while giving a thumbs up or thumbs down... 

The last one is their favorite. They love to give me a thumbs up when they understand something with a big, bold YES! Well, this has carried over into asking me if I like something they are doing. "Whitney, my picture pretty?" Yes (thumbs up!) No (thumbs down!) And, I usually respond with a longer phrase but give the thumps up/down too so they understand the jist of what I just said to them. It's working quite well. 
They are such great color-ers!
Teaching third graders the difference between "Dollar" and "Euro" is harder than you'd think!
We have tests this week in Liverpool. Making a test is very hard! Especially a native speaker making a test for ESL learners. I can do the test in about 5 minutes. How am I suppose to know how long it will take the students? Sometimes I think I'm in over my head when it comes to "teaching" English and not just being a "language assistant". I've officially made two tests and two practice tests. I guess we will see how well I did in guessing their skills. 

Other Fun Things
Alba, my co-worker, and I went to the market last Friday. It's just across the street from my house. I bought more warm socks, a sweater (because it was only 10euro and I liked it!), cheese, chorizo, olives, and mandarine oranges. It was such a fun shopping trip. We went out for tapas and drinks and shared stories about our lives. It was such a fun morning! We went and picked her nephew, Jorge, up from school and then went to Alba's house for lunch. It was such a fun time chatting with her family about Missouri, USA, Spain, and why Spanish verbs are so difficult for me! They have invited me to come for lunch in the country some day with them and I cannot wait! 

Maria and I ordered Telepizza today! ONLINE! It's so much easier than calling them. Ordering a pizza over the telephone in another language is very difficult. I'm so glad Maria opened a Telepizza account. :) 

This upcoming weekend I'm going to London with Mamen's school. It will be me and 25 Spanish speakers! While this will be my 3rd trip to London, I'm really looking forward to going with non-Americans! It will give me a different perspective on foreigners in London. I might also have to help translate so it's good for my Spanish skills. Also, we are going to meet up with Toni, the British girl who taught in Navalmoral last year. She is coming to join us for a few fun nights out on the town! I'm so excited! We leave on Thursday morning and will come back late Sunday. Pictures and stories to come soon! Until then, I'll leave you with pictures from the two previous trips to London.  
In front of the London Eye with Lindsay and Christina.
AIFS 2008
On the Buckingham Palace tour with Missy in 2009.

Solo Se Vive Una Vez: You Only Live Once.



No comments:

Post a Comment