Friday, October 15, 2010

Why I Need a Car.

Today, Thursday, October 14, 2010, I am in the high school for my first full day of teaching.  I have four classes today.  The first class went very well, with students of 4ESO. (I have no idea what that means!)  The students were split into two groups- one to come with me and Roberto, the other to stay with Trigoso. I was given questions to answer about myself and the students were to listen and fill in the blanks like “what is your father’s name and profession” “who is your favorite singer” and “what country are you from”.  They kept asking “can you spell it”?  Even after spelling my name multiple times, the answers they wrote on the board were “Whittiy” and “Whitdney”.  When I said my last name, they said “Oh, like Peter Griffin from Family Guy!” They loved saying “Carol” and they thought I said I was from United Kingdom – how they got that from United States of America I will never know! My accent, while I think it is very clear, gives them such a tough time.  However, I guess I should be happy that they are excited to have me in class.  One girl said, “Your name is Whitney, my sister told me!” (her sister is in the primary school with me!) as the teacher was introducing me.  One of the questions was “what is your phone number” to which the teacher said give a false one – good thing, because at the end of the class, three boys stayed around to ask me if the number I gave was real or false!  They are 13 and 14 years old! I had told  them I have one horse (ok, dad, I claim the horse in Spain!) and after class one of these boys said “I have two pet horses if you want to come ride one day with me! But I need your real number…” The teacher said NO! She will not go riding with you!  To say the least, the class was very fun; the girls wanted to learn and for the boys I was a novelty.  The second class of the day was with Laura and Roberto – again we split into two groups – I stayed with Laura.  We talked about Halloween and Thanksgiving, questions about ourselves – likes dislikes family – it was mainly conversation, as speaking with a native person is much different than listening to a Spaniard teach English. It was just break time – 20 minutes – and I had a café with Antonio, my tutor.  In a few minutes I will go to have class with Antonio and the students in BachA – students in an optional 2 year English/college prep course – followed by BachB with Roberto.  The students should be very good at English and will be able to more or less speak normal to me. I’m looking forward to the Bach classes very much! I also just learned, I don’t know how I am getting home today – as Juan Antonio who I normally ride with on Thursday has a meeting after school – so, I could be staying in Jarandilla for the weekend! Time will tell…
The two afternoon classes were very good! We talked about teenagers and how high schools give students “babies” to care for during a weekend or in the case of Helias a “baby egg!” I think it was informative.  I was told to read a passage about this process out loud and in my normal talking voice/speed – the students looked at me as if I were a talking machine or a robot! They just couldn’t believe I could read it aloud like that! J The last class of the day was with Roberto again and we played the same getting to know you game from the earlier class period.  The English language of these students was much higher so it was easier to facilitate.  The one that got them was “my mom Carol owns a construction company” – they said “oh, like Extreme House Makeover!” Well, at least they understood the building houses part! I also learned that in British English they pronounce “Z” differently so every time I said “Z” they thought I said “C”.  They also called me a liar when I told them I had 1 brother and 1 sister as they had heard differently throughout school!  After class, another one of the teachers in the school told me that his younger daughter had come home from school the day before and said “Do you know an American girl, Whitney? My friend is working with her in a play and she said she works at the high school too. I wish I could work with her.” It makes me feel so good about myself when kids know me or have heard of me! It’s definitely a good feeling.
Well, it is now 5:30pm and I am still at school. I was pawned off onto a first year teacher named Beatriz, who couldn’t have been nicer! She took me to her house, fed me, and we watched tv! I tried jamón flavored chips and I am dying to go buy a bag at the store! Beatriz told me that Alejandro Sanz and Shakira have houses in Jarandilla!!! Que chulo! She showed me Alejandro’s house from her balcony!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyXTMjF7cWU - La Tortuga by Shakira and Alejandro Sanz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlNDuCtBrQ - Looking for Paradise by Alicia Keys and Alejandro Sanz
Alejandro's house is in the mountains in the clearing above the yellowish building...

I got home around 18:30/6:30pm to Navalmoral.  I was waiting on Paco to take me – only to find out Paco wasn’t at school for the meeting! Another teacher who was going to Caceres ended up taking me home.  I am so grateful for all of the teachers’ help and hospitality, for reaching out and taking me under their wing.  While it wasn’t too fun waiting around all evening, it was fine thanks to the good people who helped me pass the time.

*That's why I need a car - I don't want to spend 12 hours in Jarandilla ever again!!!! Well, unless I am being touristy - but being stuck in the school (the day the internet was down!) wasn't the best way to spend my evening!!!

Here are some pictures of Jarandilla de la Vera were I teach. It is a beautiful place in the Sierra de Gredos Mountains!
Jarandilla de la Vera - this place is so old!!

Jarandilla de la Vera

Main Plaza in Jarandilla

Sunrise in Jarandilla

Jarandilla Parador - an old castle that is now a government owned hotel.

Primary school that I teach at - Conquistador Loysa

Inside the school - these are the kindergarten classrooms

Overlooking Jarandilla from the high school - IES Jaranda

IES Jaranda

Entrance hall in IES Jaranda

Another view from IES Jaranda - looking toward Alejandro's house! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment