Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Since Orientation.

September 30, Maria, Michael and I went to Cáceres for our two day orientation via an early morning, two hour bus ride.  Knowing what I knew of Spanish culture, I knew it would be interesting, as you’re “on time” when you’re 15 minutes late.
But, backing up a little bit.  After arriving in Cáceres at 9am, we headed to the international office to begin necessary paperwork.  Having obtained my visa in Chicago after two trips, I now have to work on residence paperwork – paperwork to let me open a bank account, rent a flat, etc.  The visa allows me to be in Spain legally as a “student” but do nothing more.  We spent 3 hours in the office working on NIE paperwork (National Identity Extranjero or something or other, like a Social Security number) and it was such a hectic experience.  And, that was the first of three trips to be made to Cáceres!  Anyway, I guess I should be glad that the first is over, and I know what to expect next time.  Total chaos.
While we were finishing up the last of the paperwork, I saw a girl come in and start talking to the secretary guy.  I immediately spotted her water bottle, which was none other than a MIZZOU TIGER water bottle! I asked her if she was from Missouri, and she looked so startled by the question!  But, yes! She, Allyson, went to Mizzou and is from Liberty, MO!  This is her second year in the program, and she is actually teaching in a town just 20 minutes from Jarandilla.  So the Missourians will both be in the “La Vera” region.  We figured out we both knew Phil Lankford, who both of us had taken to dances/formals, etc.  What a small world.
The four of us made our way to the hostel where we were staying for the night with the Auxiliares de Conversacion Program.  Maria and I were bunked in the same room with two other really great girls.  A group of us decided to go eat just off the Plaza Mayor of Caceres.  This “Plaza Mayor” is nothing compared to Salamanca, but the construction didn’t help matters.  It looks like a really nice place when it is in full swing.  We had a few drinks after dinner, well, Fanta naranja in my case, as I was still soaking up as much of it as I could.  We met with a few of Maria’s Spanish friends from when she studied in Caceres. It was such a nice afternoon. 
Orientation began about an hour late, and all it consisted of was us signing in, receiving a few papers, and getting a free bag to carry our books for the school year.  They reviewed the schedule for the next morning – yes, just a morning of orientation – and then we were sent to dinner.  The rest of the night we were able to enjoy Caceres, as we went to the bar for a few drinks…. In my case, several Fanta limon with vodka negro.  Seriously, it was so good.  (Kortney, I was sure to drink out of a straw to ensure no black teeth like Nochevieja.)
Friday morning, I learned some details about my job and about the Spanish school system, how it works and what ages are in what schools.  Basically, in short, Spain has colegios (primary schools) for kids aged 3-12 and institutos (high schools) for kids 13-16.  It is mandatory they take English in the primary school and high school.  In the high school, they are given optional courses in French and German and sometimes Portuguese.  For kids aged 16 – 18 there is a 2 year course they can opt to take after high school which is a college preparatory course where they focus on English and passing an exam for college. Anyway, I think this is how it works, if it isn’t correct, it is pretty close! 
I met Divina, my tutor, from the primary school where I am teaching on Friday morning as well. She is super nice! She teaches kindergarten English, so beginner English.  She has asked me to give her private English lessons, as she doesn’t think her English is really up to par beyond what she teaches to the kiddos, chavalitos! She told me the kids had been asking about me: Where is she from? What is she like? How do you say her name? She said they have been so excited to meet me and have me come to class. 
After orientation, Allyson and I took a bus back to Navalmoral.  This past weekend in Navalmoral was “Feria de San Miguel” – no, it is not a festival celebrating the beer!  Honestly, I don’t really know what it celebrates; just that San Miguel is a Saint that is important to this region, Navalmoral in specific.  Not like feria de Malaga, there weren’t people dressed in Flamenco drinking from wine glasses hung around their necks!  Instead, people were just all over the streets, being social until early (or late?) in the morning.  It was a huge celebration with bands playing in different plazas, games and rides for the kids, etc.
Maria and I celebrated San Miguel by attending one of the “Corrida de Toros Mixta” complete with bulls, bull fighters, and horses! I’m unsure what the exact term is for the men who “bullfight” while they ride a horse.  It was so different than the other 2 bullfights I’ve seen.  While they still killed 6 bulls, they didn’t do all the little things normally done in a typical bullfight.  (Gina, there was no “Tito” – no picador, the guy who stabs the bull while riding a horse who is covered in armor.)  Here is a video of different parts of the bullfight.  Besides the techno music in the background, the other band music you hear is live!


After the corrida de toros, we went for drinks and food. It was quite late when we went out, probably 10:30pm, but lots of people were out, just sitting down to dinner like us.  We ate in this plaza that was crowded with people and tables and chairs. There was a huge table to our right with a band, playing lots of Spanish “band music” – for example, songs that would be Spanish equivalent to songs that a band would play at a football game or basketball game, that the whole crowd knows and can sing along to – like ‘Take Me Out to the Ballgame’ or ‘Eye of the Tiger”. It was such a fun night in such a cool atmosphere.  Maria and I talked about Scottish and American cultural differences, which are vast.  High school seems to be the biggest in general, as there are more activities in American high schools and colleges than anywhere else in the world.  There is just a high school culture that is “so American”.  Maria asked me about “red cups” and if we really use them… I said, “yes, and they come in other colors, like blue and yellow!” haha The list goes on…
On Sunday, I had to move out of Michael’s flat, since he was moving into another one across town.  It just so happened that Sunday it chose to rain. all. day.  Those of you who know me best, know that I HATE rain. Well, I had to make 5 trips in the rain Sunday afternoon.  By the end, we were so soaked that it was almost funny.  In narrow streets, cars would zoom right past you, splashing the water all over your feet and all over my suitcases.  Not a fun experience, but we made it fun!  Maria and I lugged my suitcases up 2 flights of stairs to her apartment, something I wasn’t looking forward to moving again.
With that said, I won’t have to move them until next June at the earliest!!! Why? I moved in. Yes, I finally have a piso to call my own in Spain.  I am living with Mamen from Spain and Maria from Scotland.  I think it is going to be a very exciting year as we each have so much to learn from each other.  Mamen is an English teacher at a language school in Navalmoral, so it’s nice to practice Spanish with her and use English when necessary to clarify things.  We have a really nice flat with 3 rooms, 2 bathrooms, living room, spare storage room, terrace, and kitchen.  We have no heat.  We have no oven. BUT we have satellite television and are looking into wifi! Yes, satellite tele means I have been watching Jersey Shore Season 1 dubbed.  The Osbournes is starting soon…how many years ago did this air in the US?  Haha
Because it was raining on Sunday evening, Maria and I ordered Telepizza to the flat.  We had a peperroni and mushroom pizza that came with free chicken wings with la salsa barbacoa! We ate most of it while we looked at pictures of our friends and family back home. I showed Maria pictures from Helias Prom and Homecoming and we went through my senior yearbook.  It was such a fun night! I can’t wait for more nights like this this year. 
More about the apartment… I have a really nice sized room, all for myself! For the first time ever in Spain, I’m not sleeping in a twin sized bed! Rather, it’s an odd metric sized bed, between a twin and a full.  (Mom/Grandma-No quilts will be purchased this time, as I have no idea what I would buy!) I have a little night stand with a lamp, a nice big window, a free standing closet, and a chair.  The color scheme is a little wacky, but bright and full of patterns.  I have hung up many collaged pictures of friends and family from home and study abroad to remind me of all the good times I’ve had.  It is very homey; I think I will collage a few things for the bare walls, and then it will be very “me”.
We have hot water! Well, that is when you light the gas that heats the water!  (Angie, this is what we would always watch Mitae do from our window!)  Basically, I have to turn on a tank of gas-turn a knob-light the gas inside this metal box with a lighter-turn another knob.  I have to do the same if I use the stove…turn on the gas, light the burner, etc.  It’s just a lot of work for hot water AND a hot stove…I think the microwave will be getting lots of use.  Today, I guess the gas went out about 3 minutes into my shower because it went freezing cold.  After the shower, I turn the gas off so the apt building doesn’t explode. Well, today it wouldn’t have done anything as the tank was empty.

part of my room!

view from my window.

view of street from my window.
living room.

our kitchen. (w/o oven!)

the hallway from the entrance hall. (my room is last on left)

walking in Navalmoral, main street is just ahead. (one of the prettier views)

one of the main plazas during siestas = no one.
So far, I love my housing situation and being in Navalmoral.  I can’t wait for a Thursday night when we can all go out together and sleep in on Friday! I also am excited to explore Jarandilla, but this may have to wait until Spring as it is colder there as it is in the mountains!

More pictures and videos to come... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment