Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Carnavalmoral.

Think of the best night ever. Then, multiply it by 5. Five nights of the best night ever. And, in costume.

That's Carnaval here in Navalmoral. Five days of non-stop fun! Drinks in the daytime. Dancing at nighttime. Costumes whenever you want. Amigos. Parades. Watching the sunrise. And lots of "Bara Bara Bere Bere" on repeat. 

This year I got even more "Carnaval-ly" by helping out with some of the floats (Queen's float!) and costumes for one of the groups in the parade. I couldn't have been more excited to help out and get an insider's look. This was a big moment for me, to feel like I was part of something bigger. It felt as if I was at home, in Missouri, helping my family with an event. It's one thing to live abroad, but it's another thing to feel at home in the process. Clearly, I'm feeling more and more at home as each day passes. (Now, if I could just get the acceptance email I've been waiting for for next year... my happy little story can continue!)  

Back to Carnaval. Here are some of my favorite photos from the week to sum it up!
Maria came for the week! Reunited! Mamen, Maria, Me, Rachel
We would go dancing in the "casetas" - special tents set up for dancing the night away!


Basically, people love me. "Whitney, you're worth it!"
This played for about 8 minutes on a screen the size of a movie theater!
 
We went for cañas during the day. In costume.
Most attractive Sevillanas EVER!
I ran into lots of my students over the five party nights...
so we took photos and practiced my Spanish. haha
Simply put: I have the best friends a girl could ask for!
We hung out with famous people from Spain's version of Jersey Shore "Gandia Shore". Meet Abraham!
The Queen of Carnaval.
I helped make the float, so I was excited to see it out on the street!!
I helped make these hats... aka, burnt my fingers!

 Nos Apetece group!
Crazy Clowns!
 
This group was voted best costume. I'm sure you can see why!
This group's hats were incredible!
Ritmomania is always a stand out performance.
Small little kids were throwing handfuls of confetti at us while their float stopped directly in front of us. This little boy refused to throw his... and we got the biggest kick out of it!
Confetti fun with Rachel and Maria!
See, confetti overload. This is what we got for being the little kid's teachers.
I got a sneak peak at all the floats before the parade... :)

I'm not sure if there is any other party that I enjoy more than Carnaval. Really. I'm so happy it happens every year. 5 days in a row! It's so much more than partying and parading... ok, well not much more than that - just being with friends and enjoying each others company. I'd say it is about relaxing, but once Carnaval finishes, all I want to do is relax. With that said, Rachel and I have high hopes of actually participating next year, which means even more stress - not only at Carnaval time, but each week with dance practices. That's right, we want to take it up a notch! We're thinking of parading with the following group, as they've been our favorite, two years in a row!!!! So, all I can say is, COME WATCH US and JOIN THE FUN! #Carnavalmoral.

1 comment: