Monday, December 27, 2010

Puente: Deciembre

December 2 - 11, I was suppose to be gallivanting across the United Kingdom with three other auxiliares - Maegan, Melissa, and Lyndsy - but due to massive amounts of snow and bad weather in England/Scotland/Ireland, I didn't make it out of Spain. It's kind of a (not) funny story.

Thursday, December 2, I met up with the girls to take the train to Madrid. Upon arrival in Madrid, we coger-ed a taxi and went to Madrid Barajas Aeropuerto.  We took our sweet time checking in, getting snacks, looking around the duty-free shops, and trying on perfume.  We were just about the last ones to board the plane...well, the girls were. This is were it gets (not) funny.  Stupid me, I didn't look at my boarding pass before handing it to the man at the gate - and all I hear is: "Este no es su vuelo!" (This is not your plane!) He proceeded to tell me that I had the same flight, same airline, same time...different airport. The girls' tickets were for Luton and mine for Gatwick.  London had received massive amounts of snow and yucky cold weather in days previous and Gatwick and Heathrow Airports were both shut down until an undisclosed time.  So, basically, I wasn't going anywhere for Puente.  My big UK trip was shattered at the gate.  I had to wave goodbye to Maegan, Melissa, and Lyndsy and wish them a good trip! (They had a fun time, the pictures are great! I lived the trip through them!)

Anyway, in continuation.  I headed back to the EasyJet counter to figure out what I was suppose to do.  Since it was closing time, EasyJet didn't want to argue with me (in Spanish!) so they just gave me the name of a hotel and told me I could stay for free and eat dinner and breakfast on them.  So, the next trip was to The Auditorium Hotel - Europe's Largest Hotel with 780 rooms. :) It was a wonderful free place with free internet, free food, heat, and hot water you didn't have to light with a lighter. I was in heaven: I guess I had my own Puente after all...
Largest hotel in Europe: Thanks Easyjet!
Let Them Eat Cake. (endless amounts of cake)
I spent Friday at the airport amongst the massive crowds of people who were waiting for flights, changing flights, or trying to get their money back from a cancelled flight.  Friday also happened to be the beginning day of La Huelga Controladores "Air Controllers Strike" - so NO ONE was leaving Spain. (Rafa, a fellow teacher, told me that the controllers went on strike; due to laws, there is a minimum number of controllers that must continue working even during a strike - but even these minimal people took medical leave so there was absolutely no one left!) During Puente, this is the worst thing that could happen as millions of Spaniards travel out of the country or to the other side of the country for holiday December 4 - 8. I was right in the middle of this mess - which I guess is kind of cool considering what happened next. For the first time in about 30 years, Spain declared a National State of Emergency - since millions of people were stranded, trains were overbooked, tons of traffic on the highways... and no one could travel during Puente.

I was told there were no flights to London until Monday afternoon, so I just gave up trying to get to the UK. I decided to stay in Madrid for one more night in the (free) hotel because I was given food and heat! It just so happened that the Spanish Air Controllers were staying at Auditorium as well, and they were confronted by disgruntled passengers.  The Spanish government found out and sent military officers and personnel to the hotel to bring the controllers directly to work to stop the fighting.  For 15 days, the air traffic controllers have been forced to follow government law since so many people were affected by their strike, on top of bad weather that had come just days before. Saturday morning I left bright and early - just before the fights broke out in the lobby between the air traffic controllers and unhappy passengers.  

The next few days were very boring and cold in Navalmoral - as I watched a total of 8 movies, saw 4 episodes of One Tree Hill, and made 2 collages for my room. I washed all my clothes... which was successful - until it took 3.5 days to dry! My room stunk like dirty wet clothes and it was just a very depressing lonely few days.
part of my new "Roots and Wings" collage.
A new addition to my night stand.
"Sometimes I like to just pick up and go...
Tuesday was a different story. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday morning in Jarandilla with Divina and Toni to celebrate Los Escobazos. This ancient regional festival is something that I had never seen in my life, nor will I ever experience anything like it in the future (that is, until I attend the festival where they throw watermelon sized onions/fruits at a man dressed in a ribbon costume who runs through the streets!) Basically, the whole town of Jarandilla and neighboring towns in La Vera came out in the (pouring!) rain to see the procession and fires! Fire: that is quite an understatement. These "fires" were more like every street, every plaza, and every other person ON fire. The whole town was dressed in overalls and face masks - except me - however, I did make good choices on fireproof clothing since I didn't burn/catch on fire. :) People walk through the streets with "escobazos" (branches of this bush) lit on fire. They hit people's legs and people don't seem to care. I was scared at times because some of these bushes were HUGE!!!!! And, jeggings just don't protect you from the heat too well. haha
Los Escobazos 2010
The pole looking thing is a large "escobazo"!
Children are taught to play with fire at a young age...
We at migas in the street, drank a few beers, and had a fun time as we viewed the procession of the Virgin Mary - which took 3 hours to go through the streets. Men and women hold huge branches and lead the way through the town. As it arrives to a plaza, a huge bonfire is lit. (no roasting marshmallows in these fires!) 
A burning chair in one of the plaza fires.
The largest fire of the night at the end of the procession.
After the procession is over, people go home to shower and eat dinner with their families - as they prepare to go out to the discos and bars (yes! there are discos and bars in Jarandilla - who knew!) where they dance the night away. ...And I did just that. Since you only have to be 16 to get into a bar and 18 to drink, I saw some of my students while we were out. While it was weird for me - I think they got a total kick out of it as they waved and said "Hello!!!". One student even grabbed his face and all he could get out (in English) was "Oh my gosh....oh my gosh...oh. my gosh!!!" (When I went to the high school after puente, Antonio told me that I was the top story of the day as the students were saying "Antonio - we saw Whitney in the bar!!! Whitney was there. We saw her!" - his response - "Yes, she goes out.")
A night out - in Jarandilla!
The next day, Divina and I met up with three other auxiliares who were in town to experience Los Escobazos as well: Matthew, Jeff, and Hunter. We went to see the garganta of Jarandilla and the old Roman bridge - which have a fantastic view of the mountains and a natural pool for swimming in the summer.  We had a nice lunch at Casa Leti and then we all dispersed, going back to our houses - the boys to Plasencia and Hervas, me to Navalmoral, and Divina to Jarandilla!
Garganta de Jarandilla
Old Roman Bridge
Hunter, Jeff, Me, Matthew
Arriving back to the house, I found Mamen had returned from Lisbon and Maria from Barcelona so it was nice to share our stories over late night tapas. I had the privilege of meeting "Eric" - the superstar auxiliar who lived in Navalmoral for two years prior to me. I'd seen pictures and been told stories of his time in Navalmoral and it was fun getting to meet him.
Mamen, Maria, Me, Ismael, Oscar, Eric and Diana
Thursday night was the night of all nights in Navalmoral. We celebrated three birthdays: Jose Miguel, Diana, and Mamen - in top fashion with a night dinner in Josemi's house and a night out on the town to follow. Eric had brought toys for everyone to enjoy: potato guns.  Safe to say, no one was safe that night - drinks and mouths included. They were taken to the bars and discos later and enjoyed ALL night. :) The bars played all Maman's favorite songs and even a special round of Happy Birthday! We all danced and sang - the video is priceless. 
Feliz Cumpleanos! :)
Thursday dinner in Josemi's house!
Dancing in the streets!
Levantando la mano.
I went home (quite late - against my will) to pack my bag to head to Madrid early Friday morning. I went to visit Jessica, who I met in Salamanca in 2008, and Michelle, who I met in Salamanca in 2009. Jessica had been studying in Madrid and Michelle was just passing through after her 2 week Spanish traveling adventure/aka spend the first paycheck on something really great! We had a wonderful time together. It was so nice reuniting with Jess in Spain - since we've only been able to reunite twice since 2008 - and we both are Missourians. I won't say we "live in Missouri" because that couldn't be farther from the truth. It's nice to have Spain to bring us back together! :) We spent the weekend touring Madrid - Retiro Park, Plaza Mayor, The Palace, Sol, Gran Via - eating sweets and wonderful tapas in El Tigre in Chueca - seeing Avenue Q - the Broadway Musical in Spanish! and just catching up. It was a weekend fantastico! :) 
Jessica and I rowing in Retiro Park - Madrid's Central Park.
Girl's night out on the town - just in front of Sol.
Christmas in Madrid - Sol.
Enjoying the Christmas market in the Plaza Mayor with Michelle.
Plaza Mayor by night with Jessica!
Avenue Q!
In the end, I have to say it was probably best that I missed the flight to London - while my hopes were really let down as I waved bye to the girls - I was able to see Los Escobazos, celebrate birthdays, and visit two old friends in Madrid. 

There is always Puente 2011 to go to the UK! (Yes! I've decided to stay for a second year!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment