Sunday, September 19, 2010

Una Semana.

Today my family and I celebrated Thanksgiving!  Come Thursday, November 25, I probably won't realize it is Thanksgiving -- as it will be an ordinary Thursday in Spain.  I took pictures of our meal today, I'll have to look at them to "celebrate"!

Pre-departure, I have only been blogging when it comes to official countdown dates -- today's count: 1 WEEK!  This time next Sunday, I will have already flown from St. Louis to Dallas, had my 45 minute layover (hardly to be called a "lay-over"!), and be en route to Madrid.  I hope they have good movies on my flight!

This past week I learned a few more details about my job: I heard from my tutors!  Antonio will be my tutor at IES Jaranda, the high school I will teach at this year, and Divina will be my tutora at
CIEP Conquistador Loaysa, the elementary school.  Both schools are in Jarandilla de la Vera, Extremadura, Caceres, Spain! (explanation: Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, USA) I will be teaching students anywhere from 3 - 12 years old in the elementary, and older students aged 13 - ? in the high school. I will teach 6 hours a week in each school for a total of 12 hours a week.  I will teach 3 classes per day, 4 days a week - 2 days in each school. We are still working out transportation details to get me from Navalmoral de la Mata (where I want to live) to Jarandilla (where the schools are).  They have even mentioned me living in Plasencia, a town about 45 minutes away from Jarandilla, because I could commute with Antonio each day.  Hopefully, we can work things out and I can live in Navalmoral because the cost of living is cheaper and it is closer to Madrid for traveling purposes on the weekends. 


Sorry, that was a lot of information, but Spain hasn't been in a hurry to update me on my situation, so I learn lots of information all at once. I learned most of that this past week, just two weeks before departure. Thank you, Spain. 

This last week is full of dinner dates, appointments, packing, and goodbyes.  I can already tell it will be hectic and too exciting to actually enjoy.  One last trip to Fulton is in the making for tomorrow night, Monday, to say goodbye to fellow Thetas and WestMO-ans (?) - which I am very looking forward to - my very own "alumni weekend" haha! 

I'm unsure when I will write again.  Blogging will be the last thing on my mind, as I gear up for the big move.  I guess my next installment will be FROM Spain! Que guay! ("how cool!")

1 comment:

  1. Thanksgiving was GOOD! I am sure we will try to Skype with you or at least post new pictures for you to enjoy when it comes in November!
    ~ Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete